Thursday, June 28, 2007

More questions than answers

Well, we now know Annie has a spleen and that it appears to be functioning (see previous post), but we are still waiting the results of two blood tests...we aren't really worried, but it has been two weeks so it would be nice to know.


I have been really struggling the past few days, frustrated by the lack of information about a) Sophie's condition and b) what happened in the ER that night. I finally took the step of going to the library and pulling all the journal articles that we keep seeing on Pub Med. One of the references was to a text book Human Malformations and Related Anomalies which had a chart showing that Asplenia and hemivertabrae are linked. That was a gut punch for both of us, and we want to get in front of the orthopedic doctor she saw to make sure he knows that. If it could prompt him to recommend an ultrasound for even one child with hemivertabrae and it saves them it would be worth everything. Another article that I have been curious about is one that suggests that when a child has recurring sepsis infections a doctor should check for asplenia. My question still is what would prompt them to check for a sepsis infection in the first place? If high fever with very sudden onset, shaking, vomiting, lethargy doesn't do it, how does a child survive a septic infection (I know they do).


I have been fighting with this last question for a week...what happened in the ER...is it what should have happened (please, please, please) If it isn't, will anyone ever be honest with us about that? It would help so much.....Mike suggested that I call the hospital and ask them to sit down with us, which I have. I left a message for the care center director on Tuesday, just asking if it was possible to sit down with someone and review her chart, what happened that night, the decisions that were made, the doctors notes. I don't think they will, but it is worth a shot.....I have stopped obsessing over it and will just wait to hear, if I don't then I will decide what to do next. We have also requested her medical records....anyone know a pediatrician who would want to review them for us?


Most recently I have read that asplenia happens 1 in 2000 births....if it really is that common this might be the beginning of a long crusade for me to raise awareness...for now, I just miss Sophie so much, I ache, all the time. Thank God for my amazing family, my strong and loving husband, our beautiful daughters and the incredible support for family and friends. I know Soph is at peace and I try to cherish the time I had with her.....Please if you know anyone who can help with our questions have them email or call us

1 comment:

bongomama said...

Thank you for doing this. We all loved Sophie and I find it hard to understand how someone so little could leave such a huge hole in my heart.