Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Flower Nazis--Really?

So we got notification from the cemetery that there are "new regulations" regarding flowers and decorations at Crown Hill. They are sending me a brochure regarding the details but they did tell me that you can only place flowers, in an approved vase, for special occasions such as birthdays and holidays. To do this you have to stop at the cememtery office and record the special occasion with them, then they will give you a pink tag which allows the flowers to remain for a week....really? Can the special occasion be that I miss my sweet little Sophie and was thinking about her and wanted to take some flowers? What if my parents are in town and want to go by the cemetery. Now I realize we can go there and not take anything, BUT it is a part of the process. There are families that have pinwheels, toys, stuffies, flowers, etc....it doesn't look tacky to me, it looks like families are grieving and honoring and remembering their loved ones...this is a cemetery, not a covenant controlled community. I think a lot of people might have made a different choice about where to inter their loved ones had they known that even placing flowers is limited. I used to go every Friday, it is important for me that her grave not be abandoned, that people who walk by there know she is loved and remembered...

Mike's theory is not to worry about it, to do what I want to do because what are they really going to do? I doubt they would evict Sophie...but even if they did, we'd just bring her ashes home. So that is what I am going to do. On Monday it will be two years since she died---I'm going to cover her headstone in flowers...ha!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am with Mike...Do what you have always done...Those rules are a little bit much...You and your family are in my thoughts.
Love, Anabella

Unknown said...

Grace, I'm thinking of you all today especially. Love, Gretchen

Unknown said...

Thinking of you...Hope you are alright.
Love,
Anabella